We met in the city after I had lunch with Mike. Roberta was getting fabric at this store that’s been in the same location for 65 years.
It was a revelation for me because I had never been in that kind of store (a fabric vendor) in my entire life. To Roberta it’s old hat since she is such a skilled seamstress. What was amazing to me was not just the variety of fabric but the cost as well!
As Roberta was purchasing her material, I got into a conversation with one of the owners (because there were postcards all around the store) about the B & J Fabrics imminent move. I had said to him what a shame it was with the new Times Tower going up and the neighborhood changing.
Turns out the Times is responsible for his eviction! I thought the Times Tower was going up across from the Port Authority on the site of the parking lot that was on 8th Avenue between 41st and 42nd streets. Turns out it’s going to be a block south and the Times has been using all kinds of influence to have their way. The store’s owner was commenting on the hypocrisy of the situation since the Times often lambastes the city for giving just these kinds of sweetheart deals out. Then again, make your own call, read this article for the details.
I thought these kinds of businesses were protected since they were part of the garment district but, I guess it’s the same thing that happened to all the printers who used to line Varick and Hudson streets and wound up moving to Jersey and Queens.
Anyway, afterwards I wound up out in Brooklyn. We went out to Roberta’s neighborhood so her friend Paul - the best barber in Williamsburg could cut my hair.
I always stricken by the changes in that neighborhood every time I’m out there. Paul has been there for a long, long time and is a little more sanguine about the changes taking place.
No comments:
Post a Comment